The Society originated in 1969 from a conference organised by the Hospital Physicists Association (a predecessor of the Institute of Physics & Engineering in Medicine) and the British Institute of Radiology. It was initially an informal ultrasound group (the British Medical Ultrasound Group), the society took its present name in 1977 when it became affiliated to the European and World Federations of Societies for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. Status as a Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee and not having a share capital, was attained in 1984.
The documents 'Memorandum of Association' and the 'Articles of Association' form the basis of the Society's constitution.
Membership of the society is drawn from a wide range of disciplines including medical and allied health professionals, physicists, engineers, nurses, midwives, technicians, general practitioners, vets and others with an interest in medical ultrasound both in the United Kingdom and overseas.
The success of the Society stems to a great extent from its multi-disciplinary nature, its regular special topic meetings, its Annual Scientific meeting and its quarterly 'Journal'.
Current membership totals over 1500 from both the UK and overseas consisting of the following specialist groups :
- Others including cardiologists, paediatricians, midwives, MTOs, Vets, GPs and equipment manufacturers.