Enhancing proficiency in Advances in locking plates and screws
About the course
Speaker: Gareth Arthurs PGCert MedEd MA VetMB CertVR CertSAS DSAS(Orth) FHEA FRCVS
Fees: BSAVA Member £200 Inc VAT
Non Member £300 Inc VAT
this course is aimed at furthering proficiency and understanding the locking plates in small animal orthopaedics. Those who are interested in using locking plates, to those that are using locking plates but are not fully confident with the rules of application (when to use, and when not to use locking) are encouraged to attend.
The course will be taught through a series of short lectures interspersed with practical demonstrations and hands on application, including (comparison of) locking to non locking plate application to bone models.
At least 60% of the time will be spent on practical exercises and consideration of case examples.
- Understand how non-locking plates work and therefore their weaknesses
- Exploiting these weaknesses and understanding how locking plates work
- Brief understanding of the range of locking plates available
- Essential rules of locking plate application i.e. when to, and whe not to
- Fracture planning with locking plates
- Complications associated with locking plate systems