Cytology of cutaneous lumps and bumps
About the course
Speaker: Niki Wiggs
Fees: BSAVA Member £246.00 Inc VAT
Non Member £369.00 Inc VAT
Cytology is an invaluable tool to the veterinary practitioner, being a cheap, non-invasive and rapid route to a diagnosis, or a useful screening process to determine if more invasive diagnostics are warranted.
The day will start with an introductory lecture covering how best to take and prepare cytological samples, the principles diagnostic categories, and cytological criteria of malignancy. The rest of the day will then take the form of lectures interspersed with practical microscopy sessions to allow delegates to apply the theory. At the end of the each practical session, the instructor will review all cases on a digital projecting microscope to highlight the salient features and allow group discussion.
- Improve sampling and preparation techniques to maximise diagnostic return
- Understand the best applications and inherent limitations of cytology
- Understand the principle diagnostic categories
- Develop skills in cytological evaluation and diagnosis, including a logical approach and recognition of cytologic criteria of malignancy
- Increase confidence in the diagnosis of common cutaneous and subcutaneous lesions
- Understand which samples are best referred to a specialist, or require further diagnostics