Chicken Vet: common ailments, diseases and treatments for domestic poultry
Provided by St David's Poultry Team
About the course
The Chicken Vet CPD days offer training for vets and vet nurses on common ailments, diseases and treatments of domestic chickens. The Chicken Vet is run by St David's Poultry Team, one of the leading poultry practices in the UK and has been running poultry specific CPD for veterinary practices since 2010.
Key areas of the training course include:
- The life of the brown hen, vaccination programmes, mini flock health programmes - types of vaccine, administration and availability;
- Chicken husbandry - needs, housing management and hygiene;
- Nutrition- requirements, associated problems and obesity;
- Clinical examination;
- Poultry diseases and other common ailments;
- Endo and ectoparasites - identification and control;
- Discussion on POM-V medication, analgesia and withdrawal periods;
- Practical post-mortem examination.
The cost is £295 + VAT and the course is held at Nutwell Estate, Lympstone, Exmouth, EX8 5AN.
We are offering at 25% discount on the cost for vet nurses, attending the post-mortem session is optional. We are also offering at 10% discount to Associated Practices who have previously had vets attend the course.
After you have completed the CPD, you will have the opportunity to become an Associated Practice for a small annual fee of £75. The benefits of being an associated practice are as follows:
- Advice and telephone support from our poultry vets when required;
- Discounted Chicken Vet products and poultry medication;
- Your practice promoted as a 'Chicken Friendly" practice on our online vet finder. Website receives approximately 2500 views daily;
- Promotion of your practice on our social media accounts with >9000 followers;
- Enewsletters covering diseases and ailments, treatments and protocols with the latest advice;
- Leaflets and posters to use in the your practice.
Available dates for 2017: