About the course
Taught by the only RCVS Recognised Specialist in Camelid Health & Production, this course will provide an introduction to the veterinary management of camelids. The objective of this course is to arm the vet in practice with sufficient confidence with which to approach most of the common scenarios seen in practice. Attendees that also elect to do the practical training will learn useful tips for handling and assessing alpacas, and get to practice their clinical and diagnostic skills.
The course will cover:
- Key anatomical and physiological differences of camelids as compared to other domestic large animal species
- Routine on farm procedures such as restraint, venipuncture including catheter placement, castration, and nasolacrimal duct flushes.
- How to approach the sick Camelid, including diagnostic selection and emergency management
- Camelid parasite issues, both internal and external
- Reproductive emergencies
- Management of newborn crias
- Dental management