About the course
Basic Small Animal Orthopaedics: External Skeleton Fixation
The course will cover the history and evolution of ESFs, systems currently available and the individual components of an ESF frame. Delegates will learn the basic principle and rules of ESF application and how to correctly plan ESF application to a fracture. Delegates will practice what they have learnt by applying a linear ESF to bone models. Different types of ESF frames will be applied to the bone models; this will illustrate how frame configuration influences construct stiffness.
Whilst circular ESFs will be mentioned, the focus of the course will be linear ESFs.
20th September 2017
Topics to be covered include:
- ESF components
- ESF principles
- Planning ESF placement, selecting the right components and the correct sizes
- How to apply an ESF to bone models.
- How to adjust the ESF frame to change construct stiffness.
- Understand the principles of ESFs
- Understand how frame configuration influences construct stiffness.
- Learn how to apply an external skeletal fixator
Understand the limitations of ESFs and association complications
Required Delegate Attributes:
The course is beginner level aimed at a veterinary surgeon with an interest in learning how to apply external skeletal fixators successfully.