About the course
This course focusses on ensuring the veterinarian is able to confidently deal with gamekeepers and game rearers demands relating to gamebird health and welfare.
The course will cover an overview of the industry, the concept of biosecurity and how it can be practically applied to wild birds, a review of common disease processes and how to treat them both from hatching, rearing and laying hen perspectives.
There is a section on legislation in the game industry and the control of antibiotic usage with some applied alternatives to traditional methods.
Key learning objectives:
- To understand the game bird industry and how it operates.
- To be able to implement biosecurity on a game unit and understand its application in the control of disease.
- To obtain a basic understanding of common diseases and how to diagnose and treat them.
- To have a working knowledge of legislation relating to the game Industry.
- To have a basic understanding of holistic approaches to game bird medicine.
- To understand the modern day challenges such as Avian Influenza and Mycoplasma.