About the course
Common Medical Problems In The Older Dog
While age is not a disease, many diseases are seen more commonly in aged patients. The UK’s canine population is reported to be ageing, and senior patients are a very important part of small animal practice. Do your practice offer senior health checks? Should we health screen older patients routinely? This day of lectures will look at approaches to common presentations such as weight loss and coughing, and discuss in more detail some of the diseases seen more frequently in the older dog: USMI, geriatric-onset laryngeal polyneuropathy and old dog vestibular syndrome.
Topics to be covered include:
- Blood work abnormalities; when to worry…..
- Approach to weight loss in the older dog
- Approach to coughing in the older dog, with focus on chronic bronchial disease and laryngeal paralysis
- Hypothyroidism & Cushings syndrome
- Peeing problems: Chronic kidney disease, prostate disease and urinary incontinence
- Old dog vestibular syndrome