About the course
This practical based workshop is designed to enhance the knowledge and skill needed to deal with one of the commonest emergencies in bovine practice ‘Obstetrical Emergencies’. Attendees will be able to diagnose and effectively handle obstetric and other common emergency procedures in cattle and deliver the calf with confidence and success.
Calf malpresentation Relative foetal oversize Uterine torsion Foetotomy Caesarean Uterine Trauma/Bleeding Uterine prolapse Toxic mastitis/ shock/ septicaemia Metabolic collapse – Ca, Mg, Acid/Base imbalance
- Diagnose the emergency rapidly and accurately.
- List the treatment options for each emergency.
- Describe the pros and cons of each option in different circumstances.
- Select an appropriate option depending on the circumstances.
- Communicate with farmers about the method of treatment.
- Know and prepare the equipment required.
- Explain suitable & safe procedures of restraint and prepare the animal adequately.
- Perform the treatment successfully and discuss possible complications. - Prescribe appropriate care post treatment and advise farmers on ways of reducing risk.