Sports Horse Medicine & Orthopaedics – A 2-Day Practical Course
Provided by VetPD - Veterinary Professional Development
About the course
Equine practitioners working with sports horses are under considerable pressure to keep the horses under their care competing at the highest level at all times. Furthermore, evaluating poorly performing competition horses can be a daunting task because the clinical signs caused by different conditions may be very similar, leaving vets wondering where to start their investigation.
The world-renowned speakers will provide a broad overview on the most important topics in sports horse medicine and orthopaedics and will cover the following subjects through highly-illustrated and interactive presentations and by sharing many practical tips and tricks with the attendees:
- Latest Developments in Orthopaedic Therapies – Polyacrylamide, Pro-stride, Resveratrol, MsC, PrP, IRAP etc.)
- A Novel Perspective on Overground Endoscopy
- Applications for Objective Lameness Measurement in Sports Horses
- New Ways of using Haematology & Biochemistry in Sports Horses
- Lameness Examination – When things get complicated; Reliability/Repeatability of Blocks, Multiple Site/Limb Lameness
- Which Heart Murmurs are relevant in Sports Horses
- Practical Equine Rehabilitation – A review of Available Modalities
- Exercise Testing – Identifying Subclinical Problems in Sports Horses
- Contentious Issues in Sports Horse Pre-Purchase Examination
- Feeding the Competitive Athlete
In the afternoons, 7 hours of practical sessions will allow attendees to further their practical skills on live horses in small-groups (3-5 attendees per endoscope). Each attendee will rotate through the following practical sessions supervised by the specialists: Objective Lameness Measurement as part of the lameness work-up and during pre-purchase exam; static upper respiratory endoscopy; overground endoscopy; exercise testing – ECG, lactate measurements etc.; orthopaedic PowerPoint case discussions.