About the course
Delivered by SRUC and supported by the SACCVS
A course on genomics for animal breeding
The purpose of this course is to provide a comprehensive introduction to genetics and genomics in animal breeding and their use in practice. Vetnomics aims to underpin potential business opportunities for busy professionals, converting new knowledge to practical skills with immediate application.
This course is suitable for practicing vets, their clients, interested farmers, retailers, genomic services providers and breeding companies. The online course is ideal for independent learning professionals who wish to pace themselves.
This short course aims to guide trained vets and professionals working in the livestock industry, through a refresher in basic genetics to the latest developments in genotyping and sequencing, from the importance of phenotyping to the best assessment and management of animals based on their genetic merit.
At the end of this course you will acquire knowledge of the latest animal genetics research, gain confidence in emerging technologies and understand the underlying mechanisms of genetic progress for data interpretation and discussion with farmers.
This CPD course is levelled at SCQF Level 11; Credits: 2 (20 hours). A certificate is provided on completion of an online test.
- Basic genetics
- Heritability and genetic parameters
- Selective breeding in livestock
- Theory of genotyping and sequencing
- Practicalities of genotyping and sequencing
- Estimating EBVs
- The importance of phenotype recording
- Difficult to measure phenotypes
- Disease traits
- Genomics in Practice: Dairy; Beef; Sheep; Goats; Pigs; Poultry; Crossbreeding
- Further uses of genomics in livestock
- Genetic services in the dairy industry
This course is delivered via SRUC Moodle online through 17 recorded lectures, followed by an online test. Further reading is suggested after each lecture and additional material is provided for further information.
- Prof. Mike Coffey, PhD
- Prof. Eileen Wall, BAgrSc, MAgrSc (Res), PhD, MYAS, RAnSci
- Dr. Steph Smith, PhD
- Dr. Neil Clelland, PhD
- Prof. Georgios Banos, PhD, MSc, MBA
- Joanne Conington BSc(Hons) MSc PhD
- Marco Winters/ Head of Animal Genetics AHDB rep.
*Including contributions from other academic and industry experts
Price: £1,238.40 inc VAT (£1,032.00 net)
Price: £907.20 inc VAT (£756.00 net)
Price: £734.40 inc VAT (£612.00 net)