About the course
Delivered by SRUC and supported by the SACCVS
A course on genomics for animal breeding
The purpose of this course is to provide a comprehensive and yet condensed introduction to genetics and genomics in animal breeding and their use in practice, and a unique opportunity to interact with world renowned experts in the field as well as access to the online version of the course.
Vetnomics aims to underpin potential business opportunities for busy professionals, converting new knowledge to practical skills with immediate application.
This course is suitable for practicing vets, their clients, interested farmers, retailers, genomic services providers and breeding companies. This crash course is ideal for professionals who wish to upskill with minimum disruption to their work schedule.
This course aims to guide trained vets and professionals working in the livestock industry through a refresher in basic genetics to the latest developments in genotyping and sequencing, from the importance of phenotyping to the best assessment and management of animals based on their genetic merit.
At the end of this course you will acquire knowledge of the latest animal genetics research, gain confidence in emerging technologies and understand the underlying mechanisms of genetic progress for data interpretation and discussion with farmers.
This CPD course is levelled at SCQF Level 11; Credits: 2 (20 hours). A certificate is provided on completion of an online test.
- Basic genetics
- Heritability and genetic parameters
- Selective breeding in livestock
- Theory of genotyping and sequencing
- Practicalities of genotyping and sequencing
- Estimating EBVs
- The importance of phenotype recording
- Difficult to measure phenotypes
- Disease traits
- Genomics in Practice: Dairy; Beef; Sheep; Goats; Pigs; Poultry; Crossbreeding
- Further uses of genomics in livestock
- Genetic services in the dairy industry
The course starts at 9.30 on Day One and will finish at 15:30 on Day Two.
Included in the cost are the two day residential course, online access, refreshments, light lunch and dinner on Day One. Please note accommodation is NOT included
- Prof. Mike Coffey, PhD
- Prof. Eileen Wall, BAgrSc, MAgrSc (Res), PhD, MYAS, RAnSci
- Dr. Steph Smith, PhD
- Dr. Neil Clelland, PhD
- Prof. Georgios Banos, PhD, MSc, MBA
- Joanne Conington BSc(Hons) MSc PhD
- Marco Winters/ Head of Animal Genetics AHDB rep.
(* may be subject to change)
Price: £1,362.00 inc VAT (£1,135.00 net)
Price: £1,071.60 inc VAT (£893.00 net)
Price: £806.40 inc VAT (£672.00 net)