About the course
This introductory course is excellent preparation for the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing – the qualification you’ll need to become a fully qualified veterinary nurse. It’s a well-recognised qualification in its own right, even if you don’t progress to Level 3.
This course could help you get a job working in a veterinary practice as a nursing assistant or within animal welfare and rescue, boarding kennels and catteries, pet stores or grooming parlours.
What will I study?
- Animal handling and care in the veterinary environment
- Assisting with care in the veterinary environment
- Administrative duties in the veterinary care environment
How long will it take?
- 1 year, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- Some GCSEs at grade 4 or above (to include English, Maths and Science at grade 3 or above)
- Entry exam success
- Letter of support from a vet practice for 600 hours of work
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 2 Diploma in Veterinary Care Assistants
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
Course options after this programme
- You can progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- You can progress on to the Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Dimploma or Certificate in Animal Management
- Veterinary care assistant in a practice or with an animal charity