We’re delighted to offer the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) regulated course, awarded by Central Qualifications, which follows on from our Level 2 Diploma for Veterinary Care Assistants.
The Level 3 qualification is essential to become an RCVS registered veterinary nurse. You’ll be supported in developing vital clinical and employability skills in a real-life setting, in preparation for the responsibilities and accountability of being a registered veterinary nurse.
What will I study?
- Understanding the operational requirements of a vet practice
- Infection control
- Understanding the essentials of vet nursing care for hospitalised animals
- Comparative functional anatomy
- Applied animal welfare, health and husbandry for vet nurses
- Professional relationships and communication for vet nursing practice
- Essentials of practical nursing care for hospitalised animals
- Veterinary nursing support of diagnostic imaging
- Supporting veterinary operating theatre practice
- Principles of supportive veterinary anaesthesia
- Lab diagnostics
- Supply of vet medicines
- Vet support for small animals
- Principles of peri-operative nursing support for small animals
- Principles of emergency and critical care
- Professional registration
- Practical monitoring small animal anaesthesia
- Practical peri-operative support
- Practical nursing support
How long will it take?
- 2 and a half years, full-time (7 terms)
What qualifications do I need to start?
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English, Maths and Science, or
- Level 2 Diploma for Veterinary Care Assistants with Functional Skills in English and Maths
- Placement at an RCVS approved training practice or one which is seeking approval
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
Course options after this programme
- Progress onto the Advanced Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- RCVS Registered Veterinary Nurse. With experience you could lead teams of more junior nurses and nursing assistants and you could organise nursing clinics