About the course
Two decades of alpaca population growth in the UK has resulted in an increased exposure to camelids species of the first opinion vet practitioner. The chronic lack of scientific evidence has created room for myths and widely employed bad practices. At the same time, the dominant culture of veterinary specialisation undermines the confidence of the general practitioner to undertake new procedure or take on board new species, while academic curricula on alpacas is almost non-existent.
By joining this course you will build on your skills and add the alpaca to your portfolio of species you can handle proficiently.
- Placing the South American Camelid in the right taxonomical context
- Elements of biology, including unique anatomical and physiological features
- Population medicine
- Common clinical conditions
- Reproduction management
- Cria care
- Recognise species characteristics, and similarities with other livestock species
- Develop a herd health and management approach
- Deal proficiently with the most common clinical conditions