About the course
Our Small Animal Surgery Postgraduate Certificate (PgC) programme
The most in-depth and practical modular small animal surgery programme with an easy route to progress to the RCVS Advanced Practitioner Status
Divides into a soft-tissue component in year one and an orthopaedic/spinal component in year two
Our Small Animal Surgery PgC programme has been designed to be spread over two years culminating in a Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) exam at the end, ensuring you are well positioned to pass and no viva exams.
Our Surgery programme has recently been updated to give even more practical experience in orthopaedics and more relevancy to the general practitioner.
Working in conjunction with our partners – ESVPS and Harper Adams University we ensure the highest academic standards across all our PgC programmes.
The Improve PgC programmes help you to transform your practice life:
- Achieve not only a PgC but also a GPCert
- The PgC is a recognised higher education qualification which represents Master Level 7 and provides 60 transferable academic credits
- On successful attainment of the GPCert(SAS) candidates will be awarded a personalised certificate and their name will be included in the ESVPS register of General Practitioner Certificate holders.
- Increase your skills, knowledge and confidence in dealing with more complex cases and accelerate diagnosis
- Reduce the need for external referrals and increase your practice’s capabilities
- Qualify towards attaining the RCVS Advanced Practitioner Status
Additional Information Practical modules
You will spend time reviewing the surgical procedures by way of short lectures and where appropriate, video presentations. You will then practise surgical procedures in a wet-lab environment with demonstration and close support from the specialist speaker. You will spend the majority of the allotted time practising these procedures. All practical sessions take place at our state-of-the-art practical facility in Sheffield.
Inclusive learning support
All delegates joining the programme will receive:
- The “Veterinary Surgery” textbook by Tobias and Johnston
- A total of five “How to” DVDs by Professor Howard Seim of Colorado University illustrating key surgical procedures
- Support from our Surgery Course Director Dr Hannes Bergmann who will be on hand to oversee course content and act as a specialist advisor to delegates
- Access to our learning management system operated through Moodle providing a notes library, discussion forum and other study resources including webinars
- A subscription to Harper Adam’s online e-library providing access to 1,000s of scientific articles and abstracts
- A dedicated Programme Tutor who will support every individual during their PgC programme to ensure a rewarding and successful learning journey
See our website for more information regarding the modules, speakers and dates.