First steps in your first job-What to do with a snake in a teapot
About the course
First steps in your first job: What to do with a snake in a teapot: When is it really time to ask for help?
Each 45 minute slot will cover the most common areas of concern for a recent gradate and the times at which they feel most vulnerable. Using a combination of anecdotes and discussion of available support options within the profession. I will discuss the best coping strategies to navigate those early years in practice. Topics to be covered include:
- Difficult case management and when mistakes happen
- Coping with owner and colleague expectation. It's not just a day job.
- What else is expected of you
- The student to graduate transition
- How to cope with the expectations of being a new graduate
- Available support networks for the profession
- How to protect yourself and your mental health during the stress of a new job
Following graduation Shona worked predominantly in small animal practice. In August 2016 she was appointed to the RCVS as a Post Graduate Dean, assisting newly graduated veterinary surgeons in the completion of their PDP, and more recently she joined Surrey Vet School. Both these roles reflect Shona's continuing passion for educating yourger veterinary surgeons and easing their transistion into practice.