About the course
This course will cover management of the surgical or trauma patient’s pain. We will consider initial stabilisation, pre-surgical management, intraoperative analgesia and post-operative pain management.
The theoretical basis of effective pain management, including core pharmacology, will be illustrated with case-based examples. Specific techniques covered will include epidural and other loco-regional techniques, the use of ‘constant’ rate infusions.
The impact of non-pharmacological interventions on pain management will be reviewed in the context of the veterinary practice.
The five key things delegates will learn from this course are:
- How to identify painful patients and situations when pain may be anticipated
- How to understand the core pharmacology of key analgesic drugs and how this influences drug selection
- How to identify appropriate loco-regional techniques for common scenarios, and understand how to apply them
- When constant rate infusions are appropriate and how to use them most effectively
- Develop an understanding of pain management beyond the use of analgesic drugs