VetPD Practical Neonatology for Equine Practitioners - A 2-Day Case-Based Course
Provided by VetPD - Veterinary Professional Development
About the course
This two-day course has been designed to provide veterinarians from mixed or equine practice with the theoretical and practical background on the care of the neonatal and post-neonatal foal.
On the first day the lectures and small group sessions will be focussing on care of the foal in a first opinion setting and on general decision making when to refer a foal.
More advanced foal care requiring a hospital setting will be covered on the second day to provide clinicians with the knowledge and skills of caring for the critically ill foal.
The course will be run by two experts in foal care, Professor Pam Wilkins (Univ. of Illinois, USA) and Dr. Emily Haggett (Rossdales, Newmarket, UK) together with Dr. Jessica Kidd (Lambourn, UK), who will all bring a wealth of experience to this course.
On both mornings the following highly-illustrated lectures (in English with Finnish moderation) will be providing attendees with a broad overview of most foal-related topics:
- The healthy foal
- Foal nutrition
- Initial assessment of the sick foal
- Resuscitation and CPR
- Foal care in general practice
- Septis arthritis and osteomyelitis
- Angular limb deformities
- Flexural limb deformities
- Foal diarrhoea
- Colic and gastric ulceration
- Renal disease and uroabdomen
- Neonatal isoerythrolysis and immune disorders
- Respiratory disease
- Laboratory assessment of the foal
- Neonatal maladjustment syndrome
- Surgical management of foal disease
- Fluid therapy
- Pain management in Foals
- Foal Therapeutics
The 4 hours of small group PowerPoint case-based discussions between both afternoons will allow attendees to learn how to perform abdominal/thoracic ultrasonography, radiography of the foal and to put theory into practice by discussing cases with the experts. Each attendee will be rotating through the following case-based discussion stations:
- Ultrasound of the abdomen and umbilicus – Technique & Cases
- Ultrasound of the chest and ribs – Technique & Cases
- Radiography of the foal – Technique & Cases
- Foal Orthopaedics – Angular and flexural limb deformities
- Medical Conditions of the Foal
- Surgical & Therapeutic Decision Making
The course fee includes lunches at a restaurant, coffee/tea breaks, extensive course notes and a certificate of attendance. Attendees can choose to only attend the lectures (= Lectures Only) on this course or can register for the entire course (= Lectures & Small Group Sessions). Early course registration is recommended as there are only a limited number of places available.
This course is suitable for RCVS Modules: B-EP.3, C-E.1, C-E.2, C-E.3, C-E.4, C-E.5, C-E.6, C-E.7, C-E.11, C-E.15, C-E.16, C-E.17, C-VDI.5