Candidates should have a sound grounding in the areas of practice listed below.
- To gain an understanding of the principles of infectious diseases of pigs with emphasis on disease investigation, surveillance, and management of important endemic and exotic diseases.
- To demonstrate the role of the veterinarian in monitoring, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of those endemic diseases with greatest economic and public health significance.
They also need to develop the skills needed to create case studies that demonstrate the following competencies:
- The written communication skills required to present case studies
- An ability to demonstrate their competence in observation, data collection, analysis, reasoning, decision-making and advice delivery in the area under discussion
- Reflective skills that enable them to understand the issues raised by the case and their practice more generally, what they learnt from it.