VetPD Advances in Equine Orthopaedic Therapies - An Evidence-Based 2-Day Practical Course
Provided by VetPD - Veterinary Professional Development
About the course
Over the past 15 years a plethora of new therapies have made an appearance in the field of equine orthopaedics.
For busy equine practitioners who don’t have the time to regularly dive into the current literature it can be difficult to establish which ones of these therapies are scientifically sound and have been found to be efficacious via clinical studies.
It is furthermore very difficult to find any literature where authors actually exactly describe what therapeutic regimen they use.
Over the two days of this course the following orthopaedic therapies will be discussed via an evidence-based approach and the speakers will also elaborate on their personal views on these modalities and how they use them as part of their daily clinical routine:
- The Equine Joint – At what level do therapeutics act to modify the joint environment?
- IRAP / Autologous Conditioned Serum
- Alcohol-facilitated Ankylosis of low-motion Joints
- Platelet-rich Plasma
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Biphosponates (i.e. Osphos & Tildren)
- Adequan & Cartrophen
- Therapeutic Shoeing
- New ‘miracle’ OA therapeutics like Polyacrylamide Hydrogel etc.
- Intra- and Extra-articular Corticosteroid & Hyaluronan
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy
- Sports Horse Surgeries – Decision Making & Outcome
- Therapeutic Laser, Mesotherapy & Physical Therapies etc.
The highly-illustrated lectures will be held in English (with Italian moderation) in the mornings.
In the afternoons, 7 hours of practical and case-based sessions will allow attendees to further their practical and clinical decision making skills on equine specimens in small groups (2 attendees per specimen) and to further discuss the above topics with the specialists. Each attendee will rotate through the following practical sessions:
- Alcohol-facilitated Ankylosis of the Distal Tarsal Joints (incl. contrast arthrography)
- Intra-synovial Injection Techniques (incl. Ultrasound-guidance)
- Objective Gait Analysis System Demonstrations
- Sports Horse Surgery Case Discussions
- Proximal Metatarsal / Tarsal Injections & Dissections
- Therapeutic Shoeing Case Discussions
The course fee includes lunch, coffee/tea breaks, a wine & cheese reception, extensive electronic course notes and a certificate of attendance. Attendees can choose to only attend the lectures (= Lectures Only) on this course or can register for the entire course (= Lectures & Practical Sessions). Early course registration is recommended as there are only a limited number of places available due to the highly practical nature of this course.
This course is suitable for RCVS Modules: B-EP.3; C-E.4; C-E.5; C-E.6; C-E.7; C-E.15; C-E.17