About the course
The riddle of polyuria & polydipsia (PUPD), what could it be?
You will experience a wide variety of patients presenting with PUPD every day but why? This course will teach you about the various diseases which may present with PUPD, the importance of differentiation, diagnostic testing and how we can treat and nurse these patients.
We will learn how to differentiate our PUPD patient from patients with urinary incontinence, lower urinary tract disease and inappropriate urination (behavioral).
There will also be a special mention of the importance of in-house urinalysis (going beyond the dipstick and USG), to get the most information from our patients.
We will specifically cover chronic kidney disease, acute kidney injury, hypercalcemia, hyperadrenocorticism, diabetes mellitus, pyometritis and diabetes insipidus amongst others.
You will learn:
- Pathophysiology – how is the urine concentrated and what are its functions?
- Clinical Signs – is it PUPD or incontinence or cystitis?
- Clinical Examination – some signs can be very subtle but may unlock the answer
- Diagnosis – the importance of urinalysis and blood work
- Management – nursing the PUPD patient, ins & outs, nutrition, latest developments