About the course
Do you enjoy basic orthopaedics but are frustrated by some of the more complicated but common conditions and fractures that come into your clinic? This highly practical course with extremely experienced orthopaedic surgeons with extensive clinical teaching backgrounds will allow you to develop your confidence and proficiency and take the next step in your clinical practice.
Do you feel under confident with articular fractures, or unprepared for cases that need arthrodesis? Wondering whether you should invest in locking technology to develop your fracture surgery and wanting to develop skills in minimally invasive fracture surgery?
This highly practical course includes dry labs and cadaveric surgical training, giving you the opportunity to practise surgical approaches and fixation techniques with direct help from the expert and approachable tutors.
What you’ll learn:
Day 1 Articular Fractures
- How to deal with articular fractures and determine outcomes
- Fractures of the Elbow – unicondylar and bicondylar – approaches, implants and how to improve your outcomes.
- Acetabular fractures – options for approaches and methods of fixation
- Practical – lateral condylar and bicondylar Y fractures dry bones
- Practical – cadaveric surgical approach to elbow, surgical approaches to hip, stabilization of lateral condylar fractures and acetabular fractures
Day 2 Internal Fixation,bone grafts and Arthrodesis
- Reminder on principles of internal fixation & update on Bone grafts and alternatives
- Principles and indications for arthrodesis of the carpus and tarsus
- Surgical approach and implant selection for the carpus and tarsus
- Complications and how to deal with them effectively
- Practical – Internal fixation and Arthrodesis of the carpus and tarsus.
Day 3 Locking Plates and Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis (MIPO) - what, how and when
- How locking plates work
- What systems are available and which you should pick
- MIPO – how and why – benefits for your patients
- Practical – Dry bone practical: how to use different plating systems
- Practical – Cadaveric MIPO tibial fracture repair with locking plates
Richard Meeson MA VetMB MVetMed DipECVS MRCVS
Elvin Kulendra BVetMed MVetMed CertVDI DipECVS MRCVS