About the course
This one-day course will focus on how to practically approach dogs and cats with heart murmurs using readily available tests to general practitioners and how to interpret the results. It will include case examples, helping you to understand when to run cardiac biomarkers, how to interpret the results and knowing the challenges faced with interpretation of the results. In addition to a discussion on the utility of biomarkers in general practice, there will be a practical ECG workshop session.
What you will learn:
- Cardiac biomarker tests available to general practitioners.
- An introduction to cardiac biomarkers cardiac troponin I and NT-proBNP
- When to run cardiac biomarkers, what the results mean and care needed interpreting the result
- When should I take blood samples and run cardiac biomarker tests and when should I refer?
- Dyspnoeic patients, collapsing patients and the utility of biomarkers
- ECGs – what do the squiggly lines mean?
Course Tutor: Emily Dutton BVM&S DVC MRCVS